Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Thin Prep

To all of you non-medical folk this blog is concerning medical stuff but it still may be of interest to you so please continue to read. Today I found out something that really disturbed me. While I was at my desk, I overheard a co-worker talking about a new way to do Pap smears. I began to eavesdrop b/c I wanted to know about the latest medical technology. Anyways, I was shocked as he began to explain the "new" method to another doctor in the office. He stated, "Instead of putting it directly on a slide, you can put cervical cells in this type of solution which they can then fix on a slide. It is so innovative!" I was appalled at what I heard. Again, non-medical folk you may not get this, but please bare with me. I was shocked b/c the method he described is something that has been used in the states for years! Supposedly 10 years or so. And out here it is something that will not even be implemented for another 1 to 2 years! I could not believe this. In medical school, I learned of the numerous advantages of using this Thin Prep system which is so simple to use. In a country with a severely high cervical cancer rate, why don't they have it already! I am sorry this is b.s. In a country where some people can afford to drive a Lamborghini, the Thin Prep system should be used.

1 comment:

Peppamnt Patty said...

Girl I had written a long comment but then it got deleted when I tried to register for an account. Anyways! ISn't that tooo crazy? I can't even recall a non-thin prep pap smear and its beet over 10 years. And to think this is a NEW technique to some! Wow. It's one of those things that makes me 1. thankful for the healthcare that we have access to, but 2. Sad that not everyone gets that care...

I'll write back on the work ethics blog later.

PEACE.